- Date November 10 and 16. (The AMC 8 is pushed back to January.) The MAA is offering paper and online formats.
- Location Check with your school. If you are homeschooled or your school doesn’t host the AMC, check the MAA zip code search for a site near you. You’ll need to register with the local contact, not with the MAA.
- Prep Don’t overthink this. Take old exams and study the problems you couldn’t solve.
- Your goal Always to get to the next level. If you are new to the AMC, then your ultimate goal is to qualify for AIME. If you’re already AIME-qualified, then look to USAMO. Don’t bother with trying to get a perfect score. Move forward to more difficult problems. Each tier means greater achievement and greater prestige.
- Strategy This isn’t the exam where with 5 minutes left you bubble in all the remaining answers. You’ll lose points you could have earned for each blank answer. Write a clean exam: all answers are correct or left blank.
Published by mathproblemsolvingskills
I coach students preparing for MathCounts and the AMCs, and I teach using curricula published by Art of Problem Solving.
View all posts by mathproblemsolvingskills